Buying Crawfish Locally or Online on the Web
Catching Your Own Crawfish
We've been catching crawfish all our lives, starting with fishing those roadside ditches along LA Highway 1 around Marksville, Louisiana.
Many of us that live in Louisiana and the South have the opportunity to catch our own crawfish ... we own the nets and traps, and we have that special local bayou or swamp where we catch crawfish.
Crawfish nets are simple and easy to use. They are inexpensive, and easy to store. Bait is cheap, and plentiful.
Local Seafood Markets
And when we don't have access to a swamp, or the time to go out this weekend, we often visit local fish and seafood markets and other sources to buy fresh, live crawfish.
Dozens of outlets like Tony's Seafood in Baton Rouge, Chez Francois in Lafayette, The Seafood Pot in Destrehan, Hebert's Seafood in Boutte, Bayou Cane Seafood in Houma, Guidry's Seafood in Larose, and D&T Crawfish in Abbeville have live crawfish in season.
In addition, many have other types of seafood such as fresh shrimp, oysters and catfish. Seafood markets in Texas and Mississippi and other Gulf Coast states also sell live crawfish.
Some grocery stores offer limited numbers of live, or boiled, crawfish in season.
GUIDELINE WHEN PLANNING YOUR BOIL
An average person typically consumes about 3 pounds of boiled crawfish, served with corn and potatoes.
Some long-time crawfish eaters might consume as much as 5 pounds.
Buying Crawfish at the Dock
Some of us that live in the southern parishes of Louisiana or near the Atchafalaya Basin can buy crawfish directly from crawfishermen at the dock. Often times crawfish are also available at roadside stands or trucks.
Buying Live Crawfish Online
And today you can order live crawfish online on the Web from a number of crawfish farmers and retailers in Louisiana, Texas and elsewhere, and have them shipped nationwide overnight.
With the advent of the Internet, and shippers such as FedEx, crawfish lovers outside of Louisiana can enjoy fresh, Louisiana crawfish delivered to their door at home, or their nearest airport!
Listed below are several leading Louisiana crawfish farms and live crawfish distributors. We have no connection or affiliation with them, we just know of their existence. We recommend you speak with them regarding availability, pricing and freshness before placing your order.
Once caught, a crawfish can live for up to seven days if their metabolism is slowed down by cooling them and keeping them moist. Although they can live longer, there should ideally be two to three days from farm/swamp to the customer's table.
Ordering Live Louisiana Crawfish ... Some Leading Crawfish Suppliers & Distributors
A large number of crawfish outlets, farms and suppliers are located in Louisiana, both for local pickup and online ordering.
We recommend you speak with any crawfish supplier or distributor regarding availability, pricing, shipping options, guarantees, and freshness before placing your order.
Listed below is a sample of long-standing dealers offering online crawfish ordering:
- CajunGrocery.com - Lafayette, Louisiana - live crawfish, turducken, King Cakes, kitchen ware, Cajun books, and more
- Louisiana Crawfish Company: Family owned & operated since 1985 - largest shipper of Louisiana crawfish
- CajunCrawfish.com ... run by Mike & Mark Fruge in Branch, Louisiana, near Lafayette
- Kyle LeBlanc Crawfish Farms, since 1990, in Raceland, Louisiana
- Crawfish.com ... live crawfish and cooking supplies
Crawfish Dealers in Texas
There are a number of crawfish outlets, seafood markets, crawfish farms and caterers selling live and boiled crawfish in Texas, from Beaumont to Houston to Dallas, and in between. Some offer local delivery, while others provide delivery only in designated metropolitan areas. And some offer pickup only.
NOTE: We have no relationship with these suppliers, and do not specifically recommend any one. Their names are provided only as a reference point to begin your crawfish shopping!
There are too many vendors to list, but here are a few to start your crawfish search. We highly recommend you check out each supplier carefully, and contact them personally, to determine their current services, pricing, policies, and guarantees before placing orders.
- TexasCrawfish.com - Southeast Texas Crawfish Farm, located in Hamshire, TX, about 20 miles southwest of Beaumont. Call 409.794.1377 to place an order. Pickup only.
- CajunCrawfishCo.com - Cajun Crawfish Company, Lewisville-Dallas area. Catering and local sales in the DFW metro area. Been in business over 19 years, and sold over 146,000 pounds of crawfish in 2017.
- CrawfishTX.com - Critter Runners, Crosby, TX, northeast of Houston. Fresh Live Louisiana Crawfish brought in daily to Houston and shipped nationwide via Southwest Airlines. Deliver live crawfish to Houston area business or customer pickup at their facility in Crosby.
- DoubleMWholesale Seafood.com - Live crawfish in season, frozen shrimp, catfish and more. Currently Double M Wholesale delivers from Nacodogches to Longview and up into Rockwall Area. Businesses and individuals can order with a minimum purchase as long as the quantity is available. Located at 513 County Road 4802, Troup, Texas, 75789. Phone 903.360.8947
- CajunGourmetCrawfish.com - Cajun Gourmet Crawfish Wholesaler. Selling live Louisiana crawfish to Houston and the surrounding areas since 1989.
- HEB.com - HEB sells millions of pounds of Louisiana crawfish each year.
- GoCrawfish.com - Houston and Austin areas. They bring the freshest crawfish and seafood in Louisiana and deliver it to their customers.
- CayenneKevin.com - Cajun catering and live crawfish sales in San Antonio for 15 years.
- TheCrawfishCo.com - Located in Cooper, Texas. The company sells live crawfish and boiled crawfish at various events as well as on the weekends. Cajun catering and crawfish boils to meet anyone’s needs. Also ask about their Cajun fish fries, boiled shrimp, fund raisers and private parties. Phone 903.217.4815 or visit TheCrawfishCo on Facebook
Crawfish in the News
Supply chain issues, inflation spice up prices for Christmas crawfish
Get Excited - Crawfish Season is about to start in East Texas
Now it's the law: Here's how shrimp, crawfish will be labeled in Louisiana
How Tony's Seafood in Baton Rouge gears up for crawfish season
Breaux Bridge ... Crawfish Capital of the World ... and a Great Place to Buy Crawfish
Breaux Bridge is home of the annual Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival held in the spring.
Visitors to the festival always enjoy tasting crawfish prepared in every imaginable way—fried, boiled, in an étouffée, bisque, boudin, pie or jambalaya, and crawdogs, along with other Cajun favorites (shrimp, crab, gumbo, red beans and rice, just to name a few).