Buying Crawfish Locally or Online on the Web
Catching Your Own Crawfish
We've been catching crawfish all our lives, starting with fishing those roadside ditches along LA Highway 1 around Marksville, Louisiana.
Many of us that live in Louisiana and the South have the opportunity to catch our own crawfish ... we own the nets and traps, and we have that special local bayou or swamp where we catch crawfish.
Crawfish nets are simple and easy to use. They are inexpensive, and easy to store. Bait is cheap, and plentiful.
Local Seafood Markets
And when we don't have access to a swamp, or the time to go out this weekend, we often visit local fish and seafood markets and other sources to buy fresh, live crawfish.
Dozens of outlets like Tony's Seafood in Baton Rouge, Chez Francois in Lafayette, The Seafood Pot in Destrehan, Hebert's Seafood in Boutte, Bayou Cane Seafood in Houma, Guidry's Seafood in Larose, and D&T Crawfish in Abbeville have live crawfish in season.
In addition, many have other types of seafood such as fresh shrimp, oysters and catfish. Seafood markets in Texas and Mississippi and other Gulf Coast states also sell live crawfish.
Some grocery stores offer limited numbers of live, or boiled, crawfish in season.
Buying Crawfish at the Dock
Some of us that live in the southern parishes of Louisiana or near the Atchafalaya Basin can buy crawfish directly from crawfishermen at the dock. Often times crawfish are also available at roadside stands or trucks.
Buying Live Crawfish Online
And today you can order live crawfish online on the Web from a number of crawfish farmers and retailers in Louisiana, Texas and elsewhere, and have them shipped nationwide overnight.
With the advent of the Internet, and shippers such as FedEx, crawfish lovers outside of Louisiana can enjoy fresh, Louisiana crawfish delivered to their door at home, or their nearest airport!
Listed below are several leading Louisiana crawfish farms and live crawfish distributors. We have no connection or affiliation with them, we just know of their existence. We recommend you speak with them regarding availability, pricing and freshness before placing your order.
Once caught, a crawfish can live for up to seven days if their metabolism is slowed down by cooling them and keeping them moist. Although they can live longer, there should ideally be two to three days from farm/swamp to the customer's table.
Ordering Live Louisiana Crawfish ... Some Leading Crawfish Suppliers & Distributors
A large number of crawfish outlets, farms and suppliers are located in Louisiana, both for local pickup and online ordering.
We recommend you speak with any crawfish supplier or distributor regarding availability, pricing, shipping options, guarantees, and freshness before placing your order.
Listed below is a sample of long-standing dealers offering online crawfish ordering:
- CajunGrocery.com - Lafayette, Louisiana - live crawfish, turducken, King Cakes, kitchen ware, Cajun books, and more
- Louisiana Crawfish Company: Family owned & operated since 1985 - largest shipper of Louisiana crawfish
- CajunCrawfish.com ... run by Mike & Mark Fruge in Branch, Louisiana, near Lafayette
- Kyle LeBlanc Crawfish Farms, since 1990, in Raceland, Louisiana
- Crawfish.com ... live crawfish and cooking supplies
Crawfish Dealers in Texas
There are a number of crawfish outlets, seafood markets, crawfish farms and caterers selling live and boiled crawfish in Texas, from Beaumont to Houston to Dallas, and in between. Some offer local delivery, while others provide delivery only in designated metropolitan areas. And some offer pickup only.
NOTE: We have no relationship with these suppliers, and do not specifically recommend any one. Their names are provided only as a reference point to begin your crawfish shopping!
There are too many vendors to list, but here are a few to start your crawfish search. We highly recommend you check out each supplier carefully, and contact them personally, to determine their current services, pricing, policies, and guarantees before placing orders.
- TheCrawfishCompany.com - The Crawfish Company, located in the Houston area. Pickup at metro area locations, and FedEx shipping.
- TexasCrawfish.com - Southeast Texas Crawfish Farm, located in Hamshire, TX, about 20 miles southwest of Beaumont. Pickup only.
- CajunCrawfishCo.com - Cajun Crawfish Company, Lewisville-Dallas area. Catering and local sales in the metro area.
- TexasLiveCrawfish.com - Texas Live Crawfish, Houston and Dallas (Denton) offices and phone numbers. Supplies from Louisiana and Texas crawfish farms.
- CrawfishTX.com - Critter Runners, Crosby, TX, northeast of Houston. Pickup and delivery.
Breaux Bridge ... Crawfish Capital of the World ... and a Great Place to Buy Crawfish
Breaux Bridge is home of the annual Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival which will next be held on May 4-6, 2018.